- 6 pork chops or pork steaks
- Texas Cowboy Spice (recipe follows)
- 3 Texas Red Grapefruit
- 2 quarts spinach leaves, washed and chilled
- Texas Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 red onion, sliced in rings
- 1 cup large curd cottage cheese, rinsed
- 3 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
About 30 minutes before serving time, rub meat with Texas Cowboy Spice, using about ¼ teaspoon per side. Grill to liking. Meanwhile, with serrated knife, cut away peel and white membrane from whole grapefruit; loosen and remove sections to small bowl. Toss spinach leaves in salad bowl with enough dressing to moisten. Arrange grapefruit sections and remaining ingredients decoratively on top. Serve at once, with pork. Round out meal with glazed sweet potatoes and hot French bread. Makes 6 servings.
Texas Cowboy Spice
- ¼ cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons instant dry onion
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon each powdered ginger, cardamon, coriander and garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice
Whirl all ingredients in blender until pulverized. Pour into heavy skillet. Stir, over low heat, until heated through. Cool. Store in covered container. Use to season beef, pork, poultry, fish, vegetables, salad dressings and dips. Makes ¾ cup.
Put in jar with tight lid: ¾ cup oil, ¼ cup red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon each paprika and prepared mustard and dash of onion salt. Store in refrigerator. Shake well before using. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Per Serving: Calories-630; Fat-45g; Cholesterol-105mg; Sodium-1090mg; Carbohydrate-28g; Protein-34g